biographical name | part of encyclopedia/music
Pronounced: \el-vis press-lee\ | IPA: /ˈɛl vɪs ˈprɛs li/
Definition of Elvis Presley
Elvis Aron Presley (born 1935 in Tupelo, Mississippi and died 1977 in Memphis, Tennessee) a leading rock ‘n’ roll artist, nicknamed The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll. Influential throughout his career from the 1950s, and well beyond his death in the 1970s.
Cultural significance of Elvis Presley within New Mexico
Known for spearheading rock ‘n’ roll music in the 1950s through the 1970s alongside various bands such as The Blue Moon Boys, The Jordanaires, and The Imperials, as well as other Sun Records artists such as Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Lee Lewis. His music, which was extremely popular nationally and internationally, along with other rockabilly artists had a lasting impact on the sound of modern New Mexico music.
Examples of Elvis Presley
YouTube auto-generated playlist for Elvis Presley’s music
He performed several live concerts throughout New Mexico during his tenure as a touring musician. Whenever Elvis traveled from Hollywood, California, back home to Memphis, Tennessee, he would often travel in his pink Cadillac on old Route 66 from Gallup down Nine Mile Hill at night to view the lights of Albuquerque.
- Carlsbad in February 11, 1955, at the Carlsbad Sports Arena at 4PM
- Hobbs in February 11, 1955, at The American Legion Hall in the evening
- Carlsbad in February 12, 1955, at the Legion Hut at 9PM
- Roswell in February 14, 1955, during the “Grand Ole Opry” Hank Snow All-Star Jamboree at the North Junior High School Auditorium 7:30PM
- Roswell in February 14, 1955, during the “Grand Ole Opry” Hank Snow All-Star Jamboree at the North Junior High School Auditorium 9:30PM
- Hobbs in April 27, 1955, during the TNT Records Tour at The American Legion Hall at 8PM
- Albuquerque in April 12, 1956, at The Armory at 7PM
- Albuquerque in April 12, 1956, at The Armory at 9PM
- Albuquerque in April 19, 1972, at the Tingley Coliseum at 8:30PM
“Elvis Presley would come in from California through Gallup in his pink Cadillac and watch the lights of Albuquerque from the top of Nine Mile Hill. Everybody knew when he was coming, and we would watch him at the filling station.”
— Emma Moya Collection on the History of Old Town Albuquerque and Related Communities at the University of New Mexico (box 1B, folder 20)
Origin of Elvis Presley
Elvis Aron Presley. born in Tupelo, Mississippi, in 1935.
First Known Use: 20th century
Concert dates: elvisconcerts.com (external link)